CERES Excursion

Our Middles became sustainability detectives today as we ventured to Melbourne’s Community Environment Park, CERES. We participated in activities designed to help us learn more about how our actions affect the environment. Sessions related to fossil fuels, renewable energy, energy efficient housing, carbon cycle and energy flows. From visiting the EcoHouse to seeing how fossil fuels create electricity, it was an enjoyable and action-packed excursion!

I wonder what your highlight was today?

What was something that you learnt?

What would you like to find out?

45 thoughts on “CERES Excursion

1. MANNY & CASSY February 27, 2018 / 5:35 am

Hi Anna, I really enjoyed the Excursion to CERES!
    My Highlight was when we we’re doing that water game, it was fun trying to fill up the bucket!
    Something I learnt was what silk is made from silkworms that was an very interesting fact.
    I wonder what CERES was before it turned into CERES?

From Cassy β€πŸŒΉπŸŒΉπŸ¦‘

• Anna February 27, 2018 / 8:53 am

It was such a great day of learning, wasn’t it Cassy? I was fascinated to learn about how natural resources get their energy, like silkworms.
      It was very difficult fo me not to say anything or help anyone during the game! I wonder what you learnt about energy from the energy flows activity?
      Perhaps you could find the answer to your question on the CERES website!

• Serafina February 28, 2018 / 6:43 am

Hello Anna and Matt, I really enjoyed the CERES excursion!πŸ˜€πŸ‘ My highlight was when we did the cycle where the energy of the sun goes to the plants, the animals eat the plants, then us humans eat the animals. I learned that the sun gives us energy, not only heat.β˜€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ”₯ I wonder what was made before Carbon Dioxide?πŸ€”

• Anna February 28, 2018 / 9:23 am

What an amazing world we live in Serafina! How might you find the answer to your question?

• MANNY & CASSY March 6, 2018 / 7:25 am

Hi Anna, I found out that before it turned into CERES it was like an tip. Lots of rubbish being littered everywhere. It’s amazing how they managed to clear it all out and make it into an beautiful place!

From Cassy 😊

• Anna March 6, 2018 / 9:45 am

I agree Cassy! They must have completed a lot of work indeed! Well done on taking the initiative to find your answer!!

• MANNY & CASSY March 6, 2018 / 7:31 am

Hi Anna, I found out that before it turned into CERES it was like an tip. Lots of rubbish being littered everywhere. It’s amazing how they Managed to clear it all out and make it into an beautiful place!

From Cassy πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘Œ

2. Lewis Attard February 28, 2018 / 5:10 am

Hello Matt, I had so much fun at CERES!! My highlight at Ceres was the food chain game. I learnt that Carbon Dioxide traps heat and that heat can get through glass but can’t get out.
    I would like to explore heat more because how can heat get through glass but can’t get out?

• mattvernal March 1, 2018 / 5:37 am

Hi Lewis,

I am really glad you enjoyed the excursion. Can you remember the type of glass (in the eco-house) that reduces heat coming in?

Matt

3. Kade February 28, 2018 / 5:15 am

Hi Anna
    My favourite thing on Monday at our Ceres excursion was the sustainable house. Because i liked seeing the battery powered car and all the batteries that it had to work. I thought this was very interesting.
    One question I had is how long can the car go before it will need charging? Also how many kilometres can it go or how fast can the car go?
    I learnt so much that i cant write it all.
    I think this excursion will be one of the best excursions we will have this year.
    Kade.

• Anna February 28, 2018 / 9:26 am

Excellent questions Kade! I wondered how fast it might go too. Do you think it would be faster than a car that uses petrol?

• MANNY & CASSY March 6, 2018 / 7:38 am

Hi Kade! I also really liked the Sustainable house! My guess is the electric car can go for about.. 3 hours before It needs an recharge. You might be able to find your answer on the CERES website!

From Cassy πŸ‘πŸš˜πŸš—

4. Azaria February 28, 2018 / 5:20 am

Hi Anna. I loved this excursion to CERES it was super fun. My favourite part is when we where playing the energy flow game, where we were trying to use different strategies to put the water in the buckets because two of them had holes. I learnt that carbon dioxide traps sunlight and gives us heat, that’s good. If to much sunlight gets to earth it will be super hot and that’s the greenhouse effect. But if no sunlight gets trapped by the carbon dioxide then it will be like – 50 degrees at night. I also learnt that the first carbon dioxide came from volcanoes. CERES was so much fun and I can’t wait to find out more about sustainability. 🌞-🌳🌹🌷🌲-πŸ„πŸ–πŸ‘πŸ¦ƒπŸ“-πŸ‘§πŸ½πŸ‘¦πŸΌπŸ‘©πŸΎ (That was the energy flow if you did not notice.)

• Anna February 28, 2018 / 9:15 am

The energy flow game was a great way to learn while developing the disposition of collaboration, wasn’t it? I was also fascinated by the greenhouse effect, Azaria. I wonder if you remember what the game taught us about energy?

• Azaria March 7, 2018 / 5:44 am

Well Anna the game taught us that not all people are the same and some people don’t eat some things that other people do. Some people get their energy differently. And that is ok because if we are all getting our energy we have all that we need. (Maybe not all because we still need oxygen and a house and some clothes to).πŸ˜€πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ˜

5. Ethan Nazareth February 28, 2018 / 6:43 am

Hi Anna,
    When we got to CERES on the the bus I was so excited. But when I saw the building it was different to my thoughts. When we got to do the activities it was so fun and at the end of the day I had a really good night sleep.

• Anna February 28, 2018 / 9:06 am

I agree Ethan! I had lots of fun too and it was such a learning experience. What is the learning that you recall from the excursion? How did the building differ from what you imagined?

• Ethan Nazareth March 1, 2018 / 6:37 am

What we put in the mini power station.
        How much coal it would make if we put coal in there?

6. nlenugmailcom February 28, 2018 / 6:55 am

Even though I didn’t go I learnt a lot about Fossil Fuels πŸ˜€

Liked by 2 people

• Anna February 28, 2018 / 9:21 am

It was great to see you so interested and taking in all of our findings after the excursion Niveda. I wonder what you might like to explore further about sustainability?

• MANNY & CASSY March 6, 2018 / 7:43 am

Hello, Niveda! It’s sad you didn’t go, to the CERES Excursion. but when we were talking about fossil fuels, you seemed very interested in many facts! What’s one fact you learnt about Fossil fuels?

From Cassy 😊

7. Akein February 28, 2018 / 7:45 am

We learnt that the carbondioxide (from the electricity company) open’s the barrier in the sky to make it more hot.

• mattvernal March 1, 2018 / 5:31 am

Hi Akein,

That is a wonderful fact that you have learnt from our discussions in class.

Matt

8. christeena February 28, 2018 / 8:59 am

i have learnt that at Ceres they try to keep the nature going,and teach us about different energy,resources. They teach us what we should do to help.
    A fact that I have learnt is we need good carbon and bad carbon evenly balanced.

• Anna February 28, 2018 / 9:03 am

Wonderful fact Christeena! I wonder what you might need to do to keep carbon perfectly balanced?

9. Ryan Thomas March 1, 2018 / 4:57 am

When we went to CERES I thought it was in the city but when I saw it, it was old. I thought it was A Year 4 and 3 group but I was wrong. When we were done was fun and very interesting because I never knew that carbon dioxide came out of our nose and plants eat it.

• Anna March 3, 2018 / 3:46 am

I’m glad you enjoyed our visit Ryan. What do you think made the building look old?

10. chemachandra March 1, 2018 / 8:39 am

Hi Aaron,
    I really liked going to CERES.
    I also liked being CO2 ( capton carbon)
    I learnt that coal is acually made out of millions and millions old plant bits and i really liked learning about the green house efect .

Sayumi πŸ™‚

11. Gabriel Cahayon March 1, 2018 / 9:52 am

Hi Anna, I have learnt about carbon dioxide and its chemical symbol C02 and humans breath out C02 when we exhale. After our excursion at Ceres, I realised how we use so much energy when using heating and cooling at home.

• Anna March 1, 2018 / 10:01 am

It is amazing, isn’t it Gabriel! Do have any ideas about reducing the amount of energy we use for heating and cooling at home?

12. Zane March 3, 2018 / 10:04 pm

Hi Anna,
    My highlight for the Ceres excursion was learning about the heat getting trapped from the carbon dioxide.I want to find out about how the carbon damages the atmosphere?

• Anna March 4, 2018 / 3:04 am

What a great topic to explore, Zane!

13. Summer Maxwell March 3, 2018 / 10:54 pm

Hi Anna i enjoyed the game that we played at Ceres when the suns water travels to the plants and then travels to the animals to get all of the water to the humans! I learnt that carbon dioxide is good and bad at the same time. It is bad because carbon dioxide blocks the sun from coming to the earth, but it’s good because we don’t want the world to get overheated.

• Anna March 4, 2018 / 3:07 am

What an awesome learning Summer. I wonder what we could do to limit the amount of carbon dioxide on Earth?

14. Thomas March 4, 2018 / 1:20 am

HI Anna,

At Ceres I learnt about how heat goes onto earth and something absorbs the heat and it bounces off of the earth. Some hits carbon dioxide and bounces onto earth or goes to another planet and some escapes from the carbon dioxide.

Thomas.

15. T. Liang- C March 4, 2018 / 6:46 am

I have learnt a lot of new facts about sustainability. My favourite fact is that in Werribee they are using sewage gas as a source of energy. I really want to learn about different ways to make energy and how effective is un-renewable energy.

16. Liang-Cardenas March 4, 2018 / 7:03 am

At CERES I learnt a lot of new facts about sustainability. My favourite fact is that in Werribee they are using sewage gas as a source of energy. I really want to learn about how to make energy at home, like using a bicycle to power a hairdryer.

• Anna March 4, 2018 / 9:53 am

What a fabulous fact, Trinity! I wonder if you might be able to conduct an energy experiment as part of your investigation?

17. Alyssa March 4, 2018 / 8:42 am

Hi Matt and Anna

I really enjoyed the excursion. I learnt alot more about sustainability and it was really fun

From
    Alyssa Senes πŸ˜„

• Anna March 4, 2018 / 9:51 am

What was something you learnt on the excursion Alyssa? What are you still wondering about?

18. Crystal dsouza March 4, 2018 / 9:21 pm

Something that was my highlight for the day was doing a model for captain carbon and being a carbon dioxide. I learned is actually it takes one or two million years for something to rot underground like a dinosaurs and plants.

19. Xavier pereira March 5, 2018 / 4:57 am

I love CERES I was in joining the time I leant heaps of stuff

20. James Inovero March 5, 2018 / 9:00 am

hi Anna
    I enjoyed when we learnt about electricity with Tom.
    I learnt that electricity is made from animals that are millions of years old and it turns into fossil fuel and fossil fuel is coal, oil, gas, liquid and very old wood.
    if you had wood that is old as dinosaurs and burn it it will make a lot of fire because it has a lot of energy in it brown coal make twice as the old wood and black makes there times better then the old wood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. SADIE March 6, 2018 / 10:25 am

Hi Anna and Matt. At CERES, I learnt that carbon can trap heat. I also learned about electric cars, at CERES I enjoyed using the solar power in one of the activities.

• Anna March 7, 2018 / 3:53 am

Solar power is amazing isn’t it Sadie. What area would you like to investigate more?