Science – Introducing the ‘Heat at home’ project

In Science this term, the middle years students will explore heat.

As part of this unit students are asked to find things at home that are heat sources and take a photo and post it to the blog or write about their findings on the blog.

Safety note: remember to use safe ways to search for heat sources, including slowly moving a hand towards something and withdrawing before it gets too hot.

Tasks to do:

1. Brainstorm with family and friends different objects at home that are heat sources and discuss if each one is warm, hot or very hot.
  2. Discuss whether the object is producing heat or was heated by something else.

For example:

• A hairdryer. The vent area can get hot. It produces its own heat.
  • A globe in a bedside lamp. It can get hot. It produces its own heat.
  • A saucepan on stove. It gets very hot. It is heated by something else (a gas burner).
  1. Students to choose one object that is a heat source and share it with a photo or description of it on the blog.

Thank you! Happy searching!

Kristie

PS: challenge yourself to try and find something different to what everyone else posts.

22 thoughts on “Science – Introducing the ‘Heat at home’ project

1. Lewis Attard October 17, 2017 / 7:35 am

The hair straightener is a source of heat. The hair straightener can get dangerously hot.
    The hair straightener can get up to 230 degrees.

From Lewis Attard

• kristiehocking October 22, 2017 / 8:03 am

It is amazing how hot they get isn’t it Lewis?! I am always so worried that one of my boys will pick mine up when I am using it. Do you think there is anything in your house that would get to a higher temperature?
      Kristie

2. Azaria October 18, 2017 / 4:59 am

Warm. Hot. Very Hot.
    Lamp. Kettle. Iron.
    My body. Bike. . Stove.

• kristiehocking October 22, 2017 / 8:05 am

Wow Azaria, that’s fantastic. Do you think the items you chose would always be in the categories you placed them in? Are they a source of heat or heated by something else?
      Kristie

3. JUSTIN October 19, 2017 / 8:25 am

For our project heat i think that a computer is a hot object that produces heat itself

• kristiehocking October 22, 2017 / 8:09 am

Thanks Justin. Is your computer always hot? Is it a heat that is dangerous?
      Kristie

4. Stacey October 19, 2017 / 8:46 am

Hi krisstiy When I put the back of my hand closer to the hot lamp l could feel the heat coming closer.
    But when the lamp was of l could touch the globe.
    This is what the lamp looks like on and off.
    This item has not produced its own heat.

• kristiehocking October 22, 2017 / 8:19 am

Thank you Summer! How do you think the lamp is getting hot if it is not producing its own heat?
      Kristie

5. James Paul Inovero October 19, 2017 / 10:01 am

HI Krisstiy,
    I found out that the portable heater is producing its own heat.
    I also found out that the heat it produced warm.
    I found out that i produce my own heat.
    I also produced warm.
    I found out that a pan has not produced its own heat.
    I found out that the electric kettle was very hot.
    also it produced its own heat.

• kristiehocking October 22, 2017 / 8:53 am

Thanks James, you did a lot of investigating. Are there times when your body temperature changes? What is the pan heated by?
      Kristie

6. Thomas October 20, 2017 / 6:35 am

HI Kristy. Something that I found that can turn hot was my heat pack. Before I put it in the microwave I can touch the heat pack because its cold. After I put it in the microwave to be heated I can feel the heat radiating onto my hand. The heat pack goes into my teddy and then it is a little colder because the heat is blocked by my teddy. It is heated by something else – the microwave.

From Thomas.J

• kristiehocking October 22, 2017 / 8:37 am

Thanks Thomas. I love how you explained the different stages of temperature that your heat pack goes through before you use it. Do you know what is inside your heat pack that gets heated up?
      Kristie

7. Cristian c October 22, 2017 / 3:56 am

Hi Kristie, I found that a fan heater is hot, and it produces it’s own heat.
    A kettle produces its own heat and can feel hot, it also heats the water inside to be very hot, so the water is heated by the kettle.

From Cristian😎🤑😜🕯

• kristiehocking October 22, 2017 / 8:54 am

Thanks Cristian! Is the fan heater always the same temperature? Can the hot water in the kettle be used to heat something else as well?
      Kristie

8. Sapphire October 22, 2017 / 7:47 am

An oven. When an oven is turned on it can get extremely hot. An oven is produces its own heat.

• kristiehocking October 22, 2017 / 8:18 am

Thanks Sapphire. How is your oven heated? Do you know how hot it can get?
      Kristie

9. Amy October 25, 2017 / 7:37 am

Hi Kristy. a cup of coffee is very hot. It is heated up by something else – the boiling water from a coffee machine or the kettle.

• kristiehocking October 30, 2017 / 9:17 am

Thanks Amy, I wonder if you could investigate if the temperature of the water in a coffee machine is the same as a boiling kettle?

10. Lena October 26, 2017 / 9:13 am

The heater is a electrical source like we learnt today 26th of October 2017. I saw lots of heat sources at home like your body .When you move your body it heats so quickly.I am having so much fun looking at different heat sources.

• kristiehocking November 7, 2017 / 5:50 am

Thanks Lena. Do you know what our ideal body temperature is?

11. Yenuli October 29, 2017 / 11:12 pm

Hi Kristy,I think that a light bulb is producing heat from electricity!!
    It’s source of heat is so hot that you can actually burn your finger when the switch is turned on!!

12. kristiehocking October 30, 2017 / 9:21 am

Thanks Yenuli. Do you think it is instantly hot when the switch is turned on, or does it take time to heat up?