Skittle Business

Hi Middle School,

The last 2 science lessons we have had together have been full of intrigue and discovery.

It was great to explore the Scientific Process (A-S-I-T-C-I-S) using some candy and everyday liquids you might find around the house such as shampoo, vegetable oil, dishwashing liquid and vinegar. What was most interesting to me was the predictions you were able to make about how liquids would react with the different candy and seeing some of them come true!

Check out these photos of the different reactions between the 2 substances.

Here is the video clip about the Scientific Process – it has really helped me to remember what order we do things in during an investigation.

What other everyday substances do you think would produce an interesting reaction when mixed?

55 thoughts on “Skittle Business

1. Amelia March 6, 2017 / 5:53 am

I really liked science because we got to do really fun things and find out new things.

• Daksh March 7, 2017 / 6:08 am

When you put the coke in you can’t really see the colour melting because the coke is too dark.

2. Kudzai Parirenyatwa March 6, 2017 / 6:17 am

I thought that it was so much fun me and my partner had a rainbow in the plate ! It was amazing .

3. Julia March 6, 2017 / 6:18 am

Maybe if you put 2 or 3 strawberries with water the strawberries will turn white and the water will turn white?

4. Julia March 6, 2017 / 6:23 am

Maybe if you put 2 or 3 strawberries in water the strawberries will turn white and the water will turn red.

• kristiehocking March 23, 2017 / 12:07 am

I would to hear what happens if you try this at home Julia!

5. elijah March 6, 2017 / 6:26 am

i know it was GREAT FUN. my partner was sevi we put coke in it started fizzing and a few minutes later all the colours dropped to the bottom of the bowl.

p.s thanks for being my partner sevi B).

6. Dhihanadias March 6, 2017 / 6:27 am

Kristie I enjoyed making the skittles with the water because it was cool.

7. Lewis Attard March 6, 2017 / 6:30 am

I had fun playing the counting game. I learnt how to count by 6’s.
    The strategy that I used was I kept on adding 6.

8. Lena Benny March 6, 2017 / 6:53 am

Yes Kristie, it was very good to see that everyone was so exited.I learnt that when you put any kind of liquid with the skittles it’s color gets of and goes to the middle!

• NIVEDA LENU March 11, 2017 / 4:09 am

Sure does Lena,
      I can still remember when we mixed dish washing liquid the skittles together it was like a parade a rainbow. πŸ˜€ :D:D

• Lena Benny March 14, 2017 / 8:18 am

Yeah Niveda
        It was so fun when we mixed dish-washing liquid & Skittles.
        it was so SUPRISING!!!!!!

9. Crystal dsouza March 6, 2017 / 6:59 am

Hi Kristie,
    I really enjoyed making this experiment because I learned that when I you put coke and M&Ms together, the coke will suck the M&Ms colours and the M&Ms will be white. This experiment was the best thing I have done in science.
    From Crystal

10. Donna March 6, 2017 / 7:06 am

I loved the skittles experiment maybe next time we can use mentos!! From Phoenix

11. chiara vonella March 6, 2017 / 7:07 am

I thought that it was really fun discovering what will happen when yo mix different things together.
    I think vinegar and baking soda will have and interesting reaction, and it could be a mistake for when you are cooking, so it can happen any day now.

• yenuli March 7, 2017 / 6:34 am

yes Chiara! vinegar and baking soda might actually have a cool reaction!!!

• kristiehocking March 23, 2017 / 12:10 am

Why do you think it would create such a great reaction? Why do you think we use these two ingredients for cooking so much?

12. Phoenix March 6, 2017 / 7:27 am

SCIENCE IS THE BEST!!!!

13. Grace March 6, 2017 / 7:27 am

When wheat home group made the skittles experiment all togther it was really exciting because you didn’t no what would happen. When i did my experiment it was really cool because i used vingear and skittles and what happen was the vingear was absorbing the colours from the skittles. It was also bringing all the colours in the middle and making a rainbow circle. I really enjoyed science.

14. NIVEDA LENU March 6, 2017 / 7:51 am

Cool,
    Those look awesome!Good job. πŸ˜€ :D:D

15. Kudzai Parirenyatwa March 6, 2017 / 7:53 am

I hope we can do more cool stuff like this kristi πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

16. SEVI GUTIERREZ:D March 6, 2017 / 9:20 am

I LOVED THE SKITTLE EXPERIMENT! Just hope it lasted longer =/

17. NEHA March 6, 2017 / 10:36 am

I loved doing the skittles experiment with Kristie but then we were able to make and do our own experiment with our partner. My question was what happens if we put oil in a ring of skittles?
    we did the T and tested it and it smelled like cake but the other group added a little too much oil so it smelled like play-do.

NehaπŸ˜‹πŸ˜

18. Lucas Mancini March 6, 2017 / 8:47 pm

I thought the experiment was relay cool because I’ve never seen that experiment before and it gave me a shock when the colour peeled of.

19. Phoenix March 7, 2017 / 5:02 am

I learnt from the Skittles experiment that m&ms sink in quicker than the Skittles

20. Xavier P March 7, 2017 / 5:22 am

I really enjoyed the skittles experiment because we saw the reaction and that was fun πŸ˜€

21. Giovanna/ Lucas Ferraro/Pannella March 7, 2017 / 5:38 am

When Wheat group first done the skittles it looked really cool but when I found out we were going to make our own, I got really excited. My own was M&M’s and juice and mine smelt yucky. The colour turned dark green.Thanks for letting us make our own.
    Sincerely Lucas from Wheat🌾

22. Ethan Nazareth March 7, 2017 / 6:05 am

The Skittles changed colour slower than the mnm’s did.

• Andrew Bartlett March 9, 2017 / 8:05 am

The skittles were fizzing more than the mnm’s did.

23. eugenia teo March 7, 2017 / 6:13 am

I really enjoyed do the skittles because I got to see what happened when we added coke with skittles. It started to fizz up and smell fruity.

24. kristiehocking March 8, 2017 / 12:03 am

Wow guys, what a fantastic response to ‘Skittle Business!’ I loved how some of you were able to use scientific terms such as ‘reaction’ and ‘experiment’ in your comments and of course I love the fact that so many of you enjoyed the learning and that it meant something to you. We will continue to explore reactions between substances in the next couple of weeks.

25. Daniel M March 8, 2017 / 5:46 am

When we did the skittles it was so fun.my partner was Samantha,we put in MM’s and water.all the colour’s were going to the middle really fast!

26. Elle March 8, 2017 / 6:36 am

putting m and m in a boll in a circle and add water was fascinating to watch because when we does skittles and water it work slower then m and m with water and work really fast. when all the colours came of all you can see the chocolate and the colourful water with all different colours.

27. MANNY & CASSY March 8, 2017 / 6:43 am

Science was a lot of fun! My partner was Raf, we mixed the M&M’s with the milk. We thought not much will happen, we were wrong the milk was stronger then the M&M’s it didn’t do much until we picked the bowl up carefully and shook it in circles. After we swished it, the colours mixed together. I loved watching the M&M’s Top part fall apart. I’m not sure which one was actually stronger but the milk made the colour of the M&M’s fall apart while the chocolate inside it just stayed there, it didn’t break. It was like it was super glued together! the thing that made me confused was that when the human body breaks stuff its easier but when the milk was touching the inside of the chocolate it didn’t break. I was amazed that the chocolate didn’t melt I had a amazing time.

From Cassy πŸ™‚

28. MANNY & CASSY March 8, 2017 / 6:58 am

I Enjoyed The skittles science, my partner was Phoenix and we got skittles and vinegar when we put skittles and vinegar together all the skittle food dye came off and it was all grey after, when we mixed them it became brown, It was fun.

From Manny πŸ™‚

29. STAASH March 8, 2017 / 7:46 am

I liked how we could put skittles or M&Ms in a ring and put different types of liquids in to make different patterns. I enjoyed this learning πŸ˜›

30. Madison March 8, 2017 / 8:04 am

I really liked science because I have never done that experiment and it was fun mixing coke and a ring of skittles.Also everyone else did different liquids e.g vinegar, dishwashing liquid and shampoo, with different results

31. NEHA March 8, 2017 / 8:19 am

I can’t wait for our next experiment were going to do.
    NEHAπŸ€—πŸ˜

32. Summer Maxwell March 8, 2017 / 8:34 am

Hi Kristie! The skittles and water mixing together was a very interesting experiment. I think another way we could do this experiment could be to use m & m’s and vinegar.

33. Ethan Dela Pena March 8, 2017 / 11:40 am

I would like to do more experiments like this in the future because it was fun.
    I know that when you mix coke and mentos it will make an eruption.

34. Andrew Bartlett March 9, 2017 / 7:57 am

The skittles were fizzing and mixing

35. Andrew Bartlett March 9, 2017 / 8:00 am

It was fun and delicious #cool

36. Michael Duroux March 9, 2017 / 9:09 am

I liked science becuase we got to do fun stuff when we were puttnig the skittles in the bowl with a type of liquid in it.

37. Gabriel Cahayon March 9, 2017 / 9:38 am

I enjoyed this experiment. You can’t really see much changes in colour when you mix coke and m&m beacuse coke is too dark. I thought of adding baking and vinegar and see the difference.

38. Montana Corn 🌽 March 9, 2017 / 9:39 am

I love ❀️ science πŸ”¬ we did our own experiments and I can’t wait to do it again thank you Christie for teaching us about science πŸ”¬

39. Gabriel Cahayon March 9, 2017 / 9:40 am

I meant baking soda

40. Raninder Bamrah March 9, 2017 / 10:11 am

I loved the experience

41. Samantha March 9, 2017 / 11:10 am

I have fun and interesting discovery that when you combined ned the M&Ms with water, , the colour of the water will become rainbow.

42. Ethan nazareth March 15, 2017 / 3:07 am

Why do the skittles hardly do anything with the oil.

• kristiehocking March 17, 2017 / 9:19 am

Why do you think, Ethan? What does that tell you about the strength of the 2 substances?

43. Ethan nazareth March 15, 2017 / 3:11 am

the reaction was awesome it went far and then the skittles were all white.

44. Zoe Delia March 17, 2017 / 9:16 am

This is so much fun. I would like to know what we are doing next time. It will be so fun Kristie. bye bye

45. phoenix March 19, 2017 / 8:23 am

THE SKITTLE EXPERIMENT WAS PROBABLY THE BEST EXPERIMENT IN 2017 SO FARM !!. Kristy can our next experiment be making a DIY gummy coke bottle.

46. Lena Corn March 20, 2017 / 7:23 am

Hi Kristie,
    I had a question are the liquids that we used so STRONG!!!!!!

LENA

• kristiehocking March 23, 2017 / 12:13 am

Why do you think they are Lena? What does that tell you about the strength of the substances that we mixed them with?