Author Jim Poulter visits MacKillop Views

We were lucky enough to have a published author visit us today!

Jim Poulter has written 25 books, including ‘Secret of Dreaming’, an Aboriginal creation story that we have been reading in Religious Education. He shared with us his knowledge of the ‘Dreaming’ and told many interesting stories about the connection that Aboriginal people have with the land.

A few things that we reflected on today:

• The Dreaming is about thinking. It links the past, to the present, to the future.
  • Aboriginal people live sustainably. They are not hunter/gatherers.
  • Aboriginal people have a good ear for languages!

Were your wonderings answered today?

Are there any more questions that you would like Jim to answer? Let us know and we will ask Jim!

jim-poulter3

jim-poulter1jim-poulter2

16 thoughts on “Author Jim Poulter visits MacKillop Views

1. Masen and Harry Hall March 3, 2017 / 10:07 am

Jim Poulter was very interesting and we loved learning about how the Aborigines made their own refrigerators and have very good eye sight!
    We love learning about dreaming and aboriginal culture as we play for The Melbourne Stars, an Aboriginal basketball club.

Harry wants to ask Jim why he wanted to write the book and his favourite part of the book!

2. Lena Benny March 6, 2017 / 7:02 am

It was so fun with Jim! I learnt that you can make a football out of a possum’s fur! Also I had fun looking the things he brought in and asking questions.

• NIVEDA LENU March 14, 2017 / 8:01 am

You are right Lena,

I was shocked when I heard that you can make footballs out of possums fur. 😀

3. Dean Alvarez-vangeli March 6, 2017 / 9:28 pm

I thought Jim Poulter’s talk about Aboriginals was really interesting. I have got a question I’d like to ask, Why did Jim poulter write the book?

• ZYLIS March 14, 2017 / 9:09 am

Yeah – why did Jim poulter write the book?

4. Crystal dsouza March 7, 2017 / 6:59 am

I really enjoyed looking at the things. My favourite one was the furry possum. My question is What is the purpose of this text? I think I found my answer.Is it about how dreaming was in the past?
    A another question I have is how did they play football with a possum?

From Crystal

5. ZYLIS March 8, 2017 / 6:13 am

Jim Poulter came to our school! WOW! I had so many questions to ask him but here’s one question for Jim. What was the first book you wrote?

6. Cristian March 8, 2017 / 9:05 am

I really liked learning about the Indigenous culture and listening to his stories.

7. Thomas K March 9, 2017 / 7:03 am

I really enjoyed listening to Jim Poulter’s stories, my favourite story was “How to hunt wombats’. I liked it because they are very clever, and they can run as fast as Usain Bolt. It is amazing how Aboriginals have good eyesight! I never knew that.

8. Raninder Bamrah March 9, 2017 / 10:18 am

I ❤️ the way he showed me what Aboriginals do.

9. Raninder Bamrah March 9, 2017 / 10:20 am

Why did he wrote the book?

10. Xavier A March 9, 2017 / 10:53 am

I really liked how interesting the creation story is and it can be shown in different ways. In Aboriginal culture, the creation was shown by dreaming and spirit. This dreaming was passed on by an animal to another animal. For example, the barramundi fish passed on it’s spirit of dreaming to the turtle.

11. Thomas March 13, 2017 / 7:48 am

I loved Jim Poulter coming to Mackillop views south. He was funny, especially the part in the story when the man shot the gun and the Aborigines said”That sounds like the loudest fart in history”. I loved Jim Poulter!!!!!!

12. Amy March 13, 2017 / 8:22 am

Jim Poulter was so much fun. Who knew that the life of indigenous was interesting and funny?! I am sad it had to end.

13. yenuli March 15, 2017 / 5:31 am

It was an excellent time meeting Jim Poulter and discovering new things about the Aboriginals!!!