MSO excursion

Good evening middle school students and families!

I have put together a short clip about our wonderful Melbourne Symphony Orchestra experience last week.

Can your remember the reason for the different coloured tops the musicians were wearing?

Can you remember which instruments belong to which instrument family?

What was your highlight for the day? I know I had a lot πŸ‘

Enjoy the clip and remember to like the post πŸ˜€

47 thoughts on “MSO excursion

1. Mitchell! says:

Hi Sandra, Aaron and Vanessa! (BTW I’m Doing homework!) At the performance I REALLY enjoyed the Dr. Who Song! Also I was surprised that they did EVERY song because I thought that they were just doing Bamboozled! The Different sections of the orchestra Were Strings, Brass, Woodwind and Percussion! I already play drums, but other than those I would like to play Clarinet and Harp Because they both make pretty pleasant sounds! Bye!

P.S. Drums Are the Best!

• vanessa says:

We are so happy to see you are doing your homework Mitchell. Maybe you could have a chat with Aaron about playing the drums.

• jmosca2015 says:

Mitchell, what a great comment.
      I also thought the Dr Who piece was awesome, maybe this was part to do because we heard it live, definitely got a wonderful applause at the end.
      I agree with Vanessa, you should definitely talk to Aaron about the drums, as far as I’m aware he used to be a drum teacher, we actually studied music at the same university.
      I would highly recommend learning the clarinet in the future, as it is a woodwind instrument. The reason for this is that apart from it producing an amazing sound, once you learn 1 woodwind instrument, it’s much easier to pick up another woodwind instrument such as flute or saxophone.
      Have a great weekend Mitchell. Jess

• Daniel Montagnese says:

your comment sounded really funny because you said p.s.drums are the best! I think the drums will suit you :).

2. Aiden C says:

The excursion to the MSO was so much fun. It was amazing how many different instruments were apart of the orchestra and how they all sounded so good playing together.

• jmosca2015 says:

Hi Aiden,
      It was wonderful seeing all the instrument families playing together, it takes a lot of practice and commitment.
      As well as that, to have so may musicians playing together at the same time requires a great deal of teamwork.
      I’m curious, when the instrument families played separately, which one did you like the best? My favourite was the strings. Glad you enjoyed the experience. See you next week at school.

3. Sienna says:

Hi Wattles, I was so surprised, how the performers learnt so many different types of instruments. I enjoyed listening to the music. Sienna

4. Sienna says:

Hi Wattles, I was so surprised, how the performers have learnt so many different types of instruments. I really enjoyed listening to the music. Sienna

• jmosca2015 says:

Hi Sienna, yes many musicians play more than 1 instrument.
      It is very common for musicians to learn instruments from the same instrument family, most classical musicians started learning when they were very young, maybe even 5 years old.
      During the performance we saw a full orchestra, a wonderful experience to hear music played live. Thank you for the lovely comment, enjoy the weekend.

5. justin says:

I loved the Melbourne symphony orchestra especially the woodwind family and the string family.
    The lights were amazing they were so cool.

Justin

6. Lucas Mancini says:

1. I enjoyed the loud music that they played
    2. I was surprised to see the instrument that made the alien returning sound
    3. There was the yellow team that played percussion, Blue team that played strings, Green team that played woodwind and red that played brass
    4. I would like to play the alien sounding instrument

• Lucas Mancini says:

Thank’s Vanessa for telling me what the instrument is. I forgot what it was called. I’ll look it up on the internet.

• jmosca2015 says:

That would be a pretty cool instrument to learn I must say. Thank you Vanessa for letting us know that it’s called the theremin, I forgot. Perhaps do some research Lucas about the instrument. Have a nice weekend.

• Daniel LE says:

That’s cool Lucas, I liked the alien instrument too. Did you like the Dr. Who song? I liked it how about you did you like it?

7. Staash Mathias says:

What I enjoyed about the performance was how the string instruments sounded by themselves.
    I was surprised by how talented the musicians are.
    The different sections of the orchestra are strings, percussion, woodwind, brass.
    The instrument that I would like to play that is in the orchestra is the Trumpet, because I think that it will be fun to play

8. Keshiya says:

On the excursion day I enioyed the Bamboozle and it was fun. I was surprised how they did The Doctor Who song and their singing.
    The different sections of the orchestra are as below,
    *Director,strings, percussion,wood winds,basses and brass.
    My favourite orchestra instrument which I would Iike to play is the violin because I like the violin music.

9. Michael D says:

It was a little bit cool and some of it was peaceful. The musicians were wearing different colours because they were in groups to tell what instrument family they were in. The families were string, brass, percussion and woodwinds. The best thing about my day was listening to the instruments, learning their
    names and hearing the sounds they make.

10. jmosca2015 says:

Watching music live is always a fantastic experience.
    Hearing a live orchestra with all the talented musicians and hearing the sounds they make as a group is a once in a lifetime experience. Glad you enjoyed it. Jess

• NEHAπŸŽ†πŸŽ†πŸŽ† says:

Hi Jess,
      I agree with you, it is always fun watching the real life orchestra on stage. I was not sure at first but when I went there it looked amazing and it was amazing. If you saw the lights they were so amazing and BIG even the seats were nice and soft.
      Thank you Jess for organizing that wonderful experience I was glad everyone enjoyed it.
      NEHA πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

11. montana says:

I enjoyed the orchestra and how they did different songs. I thought that it would just be bamboozled but there was lots of different music. My favorite family was the string family, i love the harp and i would love to learn it one day.

12. Dimitar says:

What I enjoyed about our MSO excursion was the was the rap.
    I was surprised about how they remember all the sounds.
    There was the strings, brass, percussion and woodwinds.
    I would like to play the theremin because is so cool with the alien sounds cool.