Excursion Day! Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (MSO)

Excursion day has arrived! Today, the Wattles and Waratahs went into the city to watch the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra perform their show, “Meet the Orchestra” and “Bamboozled” at Hamer Hall. We stopped off for lunch at the National Gallery of Victoria before  being taken on a musical journey. We met the different sections of the orchestra through classical music pieces and theme songs. Then, we used our body percussion and vocal skills by joining in to help create the Bamboozled music, along with the other audience members and with the MSO.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

What were the different sections of the orchestra? Did you have a favourite section?

What instrument would you most like to play? Why?

101 thoughts on “Excursion Day! Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (MSO)

1. Dimitri says:

I enjoyed the performance when they did the music of bamboozled. I was surprised that they wanted our help. I would like to play the drums because you can play different songs and do a different beat with the drums.

Liked by 2 people

2. Dimitri says:

I enjoyed the music of bamboozled. I was surprised when they asked us to help them on stage. The different sections of the orchestra were bass and drums. I would most like to play the drums because they are very loud and I can play all different beats. Dimitri, Wattles.

3. Vince formisano says:

I enjoyed the family of instruments I was surprised at the different sounds the different sections of the orchestra make on their own and together. I remember there were drums,violins, percussion, strings piano,the conductor and the man Paul at the front talking. I would like to learn how to play the drums because I like the sounds you can make with them. It was a fun excursion I liked learning body percussion with Sandra and Jess too.

4. Grace says:

I enjoyed the performance because there were different types of instruments playing together and it sounded wonderful.
    I was surprised how all the instruments sounded great together and not just like a loud noise.
    The different sections of the orchestra were the stringed instruments, wind instruments and the percussion. There was also a conductor who leads the orchestra.
    The instrument that I would most like to play is the piano because I like the sound of music it makes.It can sound peaceful but also be fun and loud.

5. jacinta says:

On the 5th of May, the Wattles and Waratahs went to see the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. My favourite part of the orchestra is when we got to be part of the show. The instrument I liked most was the theremin because I like how it makes the sound like an alien is coming. The sections of the orchestra are woodwind, string, percussion and brass.

6. yenuli says:

Hi Sandra,
    I loved the (MSO)bamboozled.I hope you liked it to,I think it was one of the best exursions ever.My favourite part was when we did the body percurcition and also when we learned about the families of musical instruments.

7. Daniel Montagnese says:

The different sections of the orchestra are the brass,string,wind and percussion. My favourite one was the percussion. I would like to play the
    drums because they are very loud.

• vanessa says:

Lots of the Middles seem to like the drums. I think they would give me a headache after a while as they are so loud. Did you know that Aaron plays the drums Daniel? Perhaps he could teach us how to play them.

8. Daniel Montagnese says:

Brass, percussion, wind and string. Percussion was my favourite. I would like to play the drums because they are loud.

9. Masen says:

I enjoyed the performance because there were lots of interesting instruments that made different musical sounds.
    I was surprised to see how many types of instruments are in an orchestra and all of the different sounds when they all play together.
    There were different sections of orchestra including string, wind, percussion. There is a conductor at the front of the audience.
    I would like to play the piano because it makes different kinds of music.

• vanessa says:

Seth, I love the trumpet too. I love how you can hear it over all the other instruments. Did you enjoy the body percussion that we were able to participate in?

10. annmarie81 says:

I enjoyed the Doctor Who music. The different sections are strings, brass, percussion and air. I dont remember the name of the instrument that i would really like to play but i can discribe it. It makes a sound like aliens are coming. Michael, Waratahs

• vanessa says:

It’s called the theremin. I had never heard of it before but I recognised the sound as soon as I heard the musician play it. I agree that it makes such a unique sound, just like aliens are coming!

11. Amy says:

Hi Waratahs. 1. I enjoyed the performance because there was so much hard work. 2.I was surprised that it was way more fun then 52 Storey Tree House. 3.There was the wood wind family,the string, the percussion and the brass. 4.I would really like to play the harp and the piano too.

12. Elle says:

Wow it sounds like a fun time. I really like the drums. Were there drums used in the MSO? I really wanted to see all the types of families of percussion.

• aarondean81 says:

It’s a shame you missed the excursion Elle, but it sounds like you had a wonderful time on holidays! There were a few different types of drums used by MSO including a drum kit and timpani drums. You could go on the MSO website and explore other percussion instruments that they play.

13. Sevi says:

Hamer Hall was awesome and cool! I was really surprised when it got noisy and loud by all different types of instruments, but I still enjoyed it. My favourite part of the excursion was the shows, especially Dr Who. I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.

14. Anthony says:

I enjoyed when they played the Dr Who music. I was surprised by the loud music. The different sections were the string family, the brass family, the woodwind family and the percussion family. If I got to play an instrument, it would be the drums because I like the sound of them.

15. Aiden D says:

I enjoyed watching the performance and standing up and doing the body percussion with the MSO. They sounded very good.

I was surprised by how the MSO sounded together and how nicely it was organised.

The orchestra had different sections like strings, wind and percussion instruments.

I would like to play the piano because I go for piano lessons and I know how to read piano notes and books.

• Aiden D says:

I have been taking piano lessons for the last 2 years. Last year I learned at ABC Music group and this year I am taking private lessons. You need to know the music notations to read and play the piano.

16. Alessia says:

I enjoyed the performance because it was interesting to see all of the instruments play all together and it sounded AWESOME!!! I was surprised that the orchestra could play the music from different movies. The different sections of the orchestra were the string family,the brass family,the woodwinds family and the percussion family. I would like to play the drums because they sound loud.

• vanessa says:

Alessia, I agree that it was wonderful to see how all the sections of the orchestra are able to come together and create such beautiful pieces of music. Would you recommend others to attend a performance by the MSO?

• Ava C says:

Hi Alessia! I thought it was amazing to see all the different instruments play together as well! My favourite was the harp with it’s nice soft tune.

17. Samantha Yaranon says:

The most enjoyable and exciting part of the show for me was when the MSO performed the music of Bamboozled. It surprised me when they asked the audience to take part in performing the Bamboozled music. They taught us all the various elements of Bamboozled! It simply involves rapping, body percussion and singing. Together with the orchestra, we performed Bamboozled with fun and laughter.

The different sections of the orchestra are the stringed instruments (violin,viola,cello and double bass), brass instruments, wood wind instruments and percussion instruments.

The instrument that l would most like to play is the piano because l love the sound that every key makes while your fingers glide over it.

18. ZylisTaliulu says:

I enjoyed when we did body percussion because I like body percussion. I was shocked when Jeff told us about what instrument they play in Doctor Who.
    The Blue T-shirts are strings. The yellow T-shirts are percussion. I forgot what the other coloured T-shirt’s instrument are.
    I would like to play the theremin because I like alien sounds!!.

19. Alex says:

The instrument I would like to play the most is the Harp or Clarinet. I like the Clarinet because I used to play in my old school and it would be nice to continue. I also like the Harp because it is a unique instrument that not many people play. The Harp also makes a beautiful sound that sounds amazing with other instruments and by itself.

The instrument families were strings ( Violin, Viola, Cello ), Woodwind ( Clarinet, Flute, Basoon), Brass ( Trumpet, Trombone ) and Percussion ( Piano, Harp, Cymbals, Xylophone, Drums). My favourite instrument family in the orchestra was the Strings because I could hear the strings the whole time and it sounded amazing. They were all in unison and moved their bows together as a team.

I enjoyed how they timed the orchestra to see if they could do the ‘Buzzing Bee’ song in less than 1 minute and 30 seconds. I liked this part because it showed how much practise they had and how good they were. It was also impressive to see such a good piece be played so fast and to see them move their hands around so quickly shocked me.

• vanessa says:

Alex, I really enjoyed reading your detailed response to our excursion. I agree with you about how talented the MSO are to complete that song in under 1 minute and 30 seconds. I noticed that most of the musicians were middle aged as it obviously takes years of practise to master such pieces.

• Alex says:

Hi Vanessa, the people in MSO were concentrating really hard on what they were playing as I could see them looking straight at their pieces. I also saw that they were really passionate about it especially in the strings family because I saw some of them closing they’re eyes while they moved they’re bows It looked like they really wanted to do it and they love doing it.

20. mercuri2006 says:

I really enjoyed the excursion to the MSO. The different sections of the orchestra were the brass, string, wind and percussion.

I liked the Theremin because it sounded like the aliens were coming.
    Aaron it would be cool if you can teach us how to play the drums at school?

Manny (Wattles)

21. NEHA🎆🎆🎆 says:

Hi Sandra and Jess,
    i enjoyed watching the exciting performance by all of the people who played all the different tunes and music. The best part of the orchestra was when they played together. I think that showed they used teamwork and they love playing all the different instruments together. I am sure that we need teamwork and friendship to play with the orchestra.I want to be wearing the yellow T-shirt because I want to play the piano because it has a lot of different skills and that makes a challenge, and everyone loves a challenge.
    NEHA

22. Kyra says:

I loved the MSO. I got to see lot’s of different instruments like the theremin. The best part of the show was when we got to join in with the orchestra and that we got to do percussion with our body and do the rap parts and sing. The sections of the orchestra is percussion, brass, woodwind and strings. I loved the theremin the best because it was like when aliens are coming.

• Alex says:

Hey Kyra, the theremin sounded weird kind of like when the cable of a television is not working. I liked it because it can be used for scary music like going back in time. It would be cool to play it since not many people now what it is and it would be impressive when you show it to them but it seems like a hard thing to master.